Basic hospice palliative care principles dictate symptom management as the most important component.
Learn these basic and essential principles for managing symptoms in patients to greatly enhance patient comfort.
- 0’00” Start
- 0’15” Principles for symptom management can be applied for all symptoms.
- 1’10” Patient is the expert.
- 1’52” Education is the best way to be on top of symptom management.
- 2’29” Continued monitoring of symptoms is the key to prevention.
- 3’23 ” Each member of the care team needs to know who and when to report information.
- 4’22 ” Why does it matter that the patient is the expert?
- 7’13” People providing personal care may have the most information. Sharing the information with other team members is very important.
Chapter 3, Enhancing comfort and managing symptoms, Essentials in Hospice Palliative Care, 2nd Edition, Katherine Murray, 2009.
Study Guide for Nurses, Enhancing comfort and managing symptoms, Essentials in Hospice Palliative Care Workbook, 2009
Powerpoints™ – Introduction to Hospice Palliative Care, Introduction to Pain, Standard Tools, Credits
Written and recorded by Katherine Murray. All rights reserved, Life and Death Matters, 2010.