Preparing individuals and family for dying and death has the potential to reduce fear and anxiety and well as empower people. Listen to the podcast for more information.
- 0:00 Start
- 0:25 Why “Predeath 101” – how education can decrease anxiety
- 1:00 Who wants the information about what dying might be like?
- 1:30 Case story of Shirley
- 3:13 Education will help family “anticipate, participate and will validate their experiences.”
- 3:35 Talking about the changes will help patients and family to understand what the changes might mean.
- 4:30 Not all individuals experience all of the changes, and certainly not in any predefined order. Identify which changes are normal and which may be treated to decrease discomfort.
- 5:00 Ensure that there is a phone number and contact person for family to call for assistance 24/7, if they have questions or concerns, or if symptoms change.
- 6:15 End